Stenciled in black ink with a "T" and numbered "3860".
The leather inset top within a pierced three-quarter gallery above one fall-front drawer opening to a leather-lined writing slide and two short drawers, the right drawer fitted with an inkwell compartment, raised on square tapering legs headed by paterae and ending on later sabots. Adapted and possibly reduced in size.
29 1/2 x 32 x 19 1/2 in.
Note: The Tuileries Palace was destroyed by arson on May 23, 1871. It was originally built by Catherine de Medici in 1564 on the site previously occupied by a tile factory. Enlarged over time and reunited with the Louvre Palace in 1857, it had a huge facade of 873 feet. It was the focal point of the great historical axis of Paris designed from this palace. It was the royal residence in Paris of many sovereigns from Henri IV to Napoleon III.